We invite you to dig deeper into GRAN issues through these upcoming and previously recorded webinars and online events.
- 32nd UN International Day of Older Persons -- "The Resilience and Contributions of Older Women" -- Monday, October 3, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. ET The past three years have brought profound upheaval in the worlds’ health, socioeconomic, and environmental sectors, with pandemic and climate related impacts experienced globally. These effects continue to be deeply significant, particularly for many older women who bear the burden of cumulative disadvantage. Recognition of the vital contributions of older women and inclusion of their voices, perspectives and needs is critical to creating policies responsive to local, national, and global challenges and catastrophes. This event will take the form of a multi-stakeholder dialogue highlighting the resilience of older women in the face of environmental, social, economic and lifelong inequalities. The event also aims to raise awareness of the importance of improved world-wide data collection, disaggregated by age and gender, and will call on UN member states, UN entities, UN Women, and civil society to include older women in the centre of all policies, ensuring gender equality. This will be an in-person event at the UN in New York City, but it will also be streamed live on line via UN Web TV and should be available as a recording on the UN Web TV website after the event as well.
- Women and Water: On the Frontline of Climate Change -- Wednesday, October 12, 10:00 a.m. ET -- As stewards of water, women and girls confront the impacts of climate change every day yet lack decision making power to influence climate finance commitments to water security. These impacts are deepening the devastating impact of widespread gender inequality in our changing climate. This webinar is sponsored by WaterAid Canada, United Nations University Institute for Water, Environment and Health (UNU-INWEH) and the Canadian Coalition for Climate and Development (C4D). It will include presentations as well as breakout group discussions focusing on five calls to action in advance of COP27. Click here to register.
- Oxfam Canada Special Briefing on the Hunger and Climate Crisis -- Thursday, October 13, 7:00 – 8:00 PM ET -- Extreme hunger has more than doubled in ten of the world’s worst climate hotspots over the past six years. Urgent aid and important policy changes are needed to address the double crisis of climate and hunger. Unless massive and immediate action is taken, hunger will continue to spiral. Join Oxfam Canada’s Executive Director, Lauren Ravon, in conversation with Oxfam Canada's program experts, Fatuma Shideh and Brittany Lambert. Click here to register.
Links to recordings of past gRAN Learning events:
- Presentation by HelpAge Canada with Executive Director Greggor Sneddon (May 25, 2022) Video link here.
- COVID-19 Vaccine Apartheid: Its Roots and Consequences with Dr. Madhukar Pai (April 20, 2022). Video link here.
- Growing Her Future: Climate Financing and Global Food Security with the Canadian Foodgrains Bank (October 26, 2021). Video link here.
- Saving the Okavango Delta Panel Discussion with activists Ina-Maria Shikongo and Rob Parker and MP Elizabeth May (May 28, 2021) Video link here.
- GRAN Food Sovereignty Presentation with Dr. Elizabeth Vibert (April 28, 2021) Video link here.
- GRAN Climate Justice Presentation with Dr. Louise Comeau (January 27, 2021) Video link here.
We will do our best to keep this page updated, so we encourage you to check back often!