Thank you to everyone who was able to participate in our January 27th Climate Justice learning event with Louise Comeau. Louise provided an excellent update on the climate emergency and described key areas for climate action at both the personal and national levels. She identified the top three solutions for Canada as:
- investing in renewable energy
- electrifying everything, and
- restoring and protecting nature.
If you missed Louise's presentation, or would like to watch it again, you can access the video here. (And for those of you who would like to see more in the series of short “Love NB” videos that Louise shared with us, they are available on the Conservation Council website.)
Our time with Louise was not just informative. It was inspiring. If you are looking for ways to get involved in climate action locally, here are some suggestions:
- Visit the David Suzuki Foundation website for a list of issue-specific climate actions you can take on line.
- Write to the PM or environment minister (federally or provincially) or to your MP expressing your desire for action regarding a climate issue you are passionate about, for example: implementing climate plans that drastically cut emissions; increased investment in renewable energy; and/or increased investment in climate adaptation funding.
- Learn more about 'nature-based solutions' to climate change. The Canadian Government has committed to protect 25% of our lands and oceans by 2025. Find out more on the government website here. At the international level, Canada and Mexico are co-chairing the Nature-Based Solutions Action Track for the Global Commission on Adaptation.
- Hold the following dates for upcoming Fridays For Future events:
- Friday, March 19, 2021, Global Day of Action (#NoMoreEmptyPromises)
- Saturday, April 24, 2021: Fridays for Future Global Concert
- Saturday, October 16, 2021: Fridays for Future Global Concert
- GRANs on the west coast may want to check out Sierra Club BC for some great information and a list of current climate actions.
We hope you are inspired to learn more and to get involved. Thank you as always for all you do.
Janet and Pat