Reverse the decline in Official Development Assistance (ODA)
Take action to make sure that candidates are aware of, and respond to, the need for Canada to reverse our falling contribution to development aid. Make this a campaign issue!
In 2014, countries such as the United Kingdom, Sweden and Norway exceeded the international ODA target of 0.7% of Gross National Income. Others increased their ODA spending. But Canada’s decrease, at almost 11% was one of the largest (OECD 2014).
Paying our fair share means more money in developing nations for
- Children’s education and life-long learning
- Access to life-saving medicines
- Stopping violence against women
Improving educational opportunities, increasing the availability of affordable medicines and ending violence against women are not ‘add-ons’ – these measures help to save lives and to transform lives. And they reflect basic human rights.
What can you do?
- Have your question ready when a canvasser comes to your door (click here for suggested question and information)
- Check out the GRAN Facebook page and Twitter account regularly and share or retweet relevant material. Find both links at the bottom of our home page.