In the Strategic Plan document we produced in 2008 (to be revisited in 2012), we defined internal and external goals. Overall, our goals are:
- To stimulate policy change and effective government action to address the plight of grandmothers and AIDS orphans in Africa
- To build a robust grandmothers advocacy network and capacity across Canada
Internal Network Objectives include:
- Mobilize grandmothers and others in communities across the country to call for meaningful Canadian and international action to make a difference in the lives of African grandmothers and AIDS orphans.
- Strengthen the advocacy capacity of grandmothers groups across Canada by providing timely and effective resources, tools, learning experiences and opportunities to engage in advocacy work.
- Ensure the long-term sustainability of our Grandmothers Advocacy Network (GRAN) by building participatory governance structures and maintaining a nimble, accessible and adequately resourced advocacy organization.
External Advocacy Goals are to scale up:
- Canadian and international support for AIDS prevention, care, treatment and support in Sub-Saharan Africa; and
- policies, programs and resources to improve conditions of life for African communities, grandmothers and AIDS orphans.